

Day 22: Well I was hoping to have some news about how the mash went today, but no so such luck. The agitator on the Beast remains powerless, as the electrician will not arrive until tomorrow morning. So Justin and I spent the day running a cleaning cycle on the Beast to remove all the residual dirt and grime from its renovation. We started with a Caustic and finished with a phosphoric acid much like many of you do. I also got introduced to the hose spray initiation ritual of letting the new take apart a tri-clamped hose while forgetting to shut the ball valve on the water line. Luckily for me neither Justin or Ari were quick to document my initiation. I would feel obligated to post said picture if it showed up in my email. Getting this all hooked up and done took a good part of the day. I won't say tomorrow for sure, but if the electrician makes his appearance, we'll get into the mash and some whiskey beginnings to finally talk about. Also, I am including a picture of the 5 gallon Gibbs Brother's Barrel I just got in for this test run. I don't intend to follow this up with anymore small barrels as I not in the camp of those who favor them. This is only for this test batch and then straight to 53 gallon barrels for the long haul of aging. Pictures Left to Right and Top to Bottom. The pump used for circulating the caustic solution, manifold for draining and recirculating, the beast all hooked up for the cleaning cycle, Justin showing Ari one of the new valve assemblies put on the beast, 5 gallon Gibbs Brothers Barrel, and the interior of the Beast all spic, span, and shiny, ready for the mash tomorrow.



No comments:
Post a Comment