Translate

Thursday, July 4, 2013



 Day 24,  Well this is truly half way.  I've got four more weeks to go, But now the good stuff is starting.  We got to make the mash today.  
 First we put in the base water to heat up.  Loaded in the Rye, Rye Malt, and the Caramel Malt.  Heated this up and cooked it.  At different stages we took samples and tested for the PH level.  Made adjustments using Phosphoric Acid to push the number down for mashing and sodium hydroxide to push it back up after the starch conversion was done before we added the yeast for the commencement of the fermentation.  The entire process took about 4 and a half hours.  I really appreciated getting to do everything.  The hands on experience sinks in the information and processes required for making a whiskey.  We passed the time during the rests with some beer from Detroit Brewing.  I chose this German styled amber called ALT.  Have to say it was tasty, and good enough to not feel like I was cheating on my whiskey.  Down below here you can see the mash as the last grain was added and the mixing is almost done.  The other two pictures of me adding the Sodium Hydroxide and then the yeast after cooling to the fermentation temperature.








So we spent the day of the 4th celebrating America's Independence in the style of George Washington, making a Rye Mash for fermentation.  Kris invited us out to his house for a late lunch where he worked up a southern style shrimp boil.  The group was small but the conversation was light and the laughs were many and the food was happening.  Adam brought some brats for to put into the mix.  Kris was the only one with enough daring to try a Gummi Brat.  That's right a brat with Gummi's in it.  Still don't understand what slip of the mind would cause someone to even think they should try it.  Although on the other hand, I wouldn't sense any shock if I was told the idea came from the makers 5 year old.

No comments:

Post a Comment