Translate

Thursday, June 20, 2013


 Day 12:  We started the morning by checking out our fermentation started the previous day in the bioreactor.  The first two pictures here are the agitated fermentation chamber and then a shot of the whole bioreactor.  We ran spectrophotometer readings on the two samples.  If you look at the two different fermentations in the next two pictures you will see F1 on the left run at 30C was running a healthy fermentation.  F2 on the right is visibly thinner suggesting a weaker fermentation.  When we ran the test we got a cell density in F1 that is more than 2xs the density of F2.                                                                                                                                                  




 Adam taught Jake and I a new test method available for our experiments.  It is called a HPLC or a High Performance Liquid Chromatograh which runs a test similar to the Gas Chromatograph but runs the separation as a liquid rather than heating the volatiles to a gas state like the GC (see image on the right).  In the pictures on the left you see adam showing us how to prepare the samples and setting up the tray which goes into the HPLC (seen in the right photo).   Below right I am setting up a small lab fermentation of my project whiskey.  Below left Adam showed us what the yeast from our other experiment looks like under the microscope so we see the difference between good healthy yeast (F1) during fermentation and what yeast (F2) looks like when it is struggling for whatever reason.  In our case the temperature on F2 was a bit high for the optimal range of the Distilamax LS yeast we chose for this.  Tomorrow we are going to attach a computer to the microscope so we can use the mounted camera to show you the images of the yeasts.  The images are visually fascinating for the artist in me and telling of what is going on in the two fermentations for the science side.  The very bottom photo is the grains for my project Rye Whiskey and the bottle we are storing our weighed mash ingredients in until we mash them tomorrow.  So here is the recipe I chose after consulting with Justin Aden.  67%Rye, 20% Rye Malt, 13% Caramel Malt 60L from Briess.  I like Prime numbers.  Sadly with three ingredients you get to use only two of them to make 100%.  Lets hope 13 is a lucky number for this one.  Ari helped out with getting my ingredients for the bigger project batch when I get back into the distillery.  Tomorrow I will start the day talking with Kris about preparing an application for the TTB in the morning and then running the lab fermentation in the afternoon.



6 comments:

  1. Definitely fascinating work you are doing, thanks for sharing with the world. One question I have is you didn't mention how you got the ADI sponsored internship? I've only been watching the forums for a few months, but have not seen anything about continuing education aside from ads for various "distilling weekends".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian,
    I went to the ADI site to find the link to the scholarship page and didn't find it. I don't know why that is at this point. I do know they start taking applications around the 1st of the year. So It may be that it will be back up on there when it comes closer to the time to decide next year's intern. They held an auction at the last conference and raised a good amount of money for the scholarship fund, so I would imagine the program is still healthy. I will put in an email to Bill and see if I can get a more definitive answer. That being said the ADI has a program named the Michael Jackson ADI internship. There are three different levels of funding from $1000, $5000, and $7500. I got the middle one. What happens is, you fill out an application which states what you want to do and a proposed budget. You apply for the money levels based on the type of program you are after. This program I am participating in is a brand new option for craft distillers. So I think the ADI internship committee saw my project as big opportunity for people like me. As part of my application I proposed a give back for the money. This blog is part of that, I am going to write a paper about the program at the end, and I will give a talk at a future ADI conference. Most likely the next one. I came from an academic background, and I believe sharing information is what is going to raise all players in this new venture. I'll see what I can find out for you about why that isn't on the ADI website.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brian, Bill will send you an email if you can give me your username on the ADI board to forward to him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rick,

    Thanks for the detailed reply. My username on the ADI forum is guppy_wi. I haven't been much of an active participant/commenter at this point, but have been lurking (and learning) consistently. Considering full membership, but right now I'm just learning. My background is chemical engineering/product management in the paper industry, but I have a passion for culinary arts, mixology and the locovore movement. The mix of technical unit operations and creative craft in distilling has me seriously considering a career change. Right now, I'm in the midst of developing a business plan with a small group of entrepreneurial friends. Not sure if it is feasible yet, but it looks promising.

    I spent a lot of time on the MSU course listings online and didn't see much about Kris's program aside from graduate level work. I did find an older presentation he did and his textbook, but I'm glad to see there is an internship/training program that is being developed

    Thanks again for your help!
    Brian

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brian,
    Here is a link to the program. http://www.artisandistilling.org/ There is a link for workshops on the left. This two month internship is in a trial run phase so no public information is out there except for what I am writing about it. Kris is using me as a bit of a guinea pig for trying this out. If you have more questions about it you can call me at 410-603-8629 or Skype: Rickdicul0us
    Good luck. IF that wi in your tag is for Wisconsin you should start looking around the state and talking with people already doing it. Death's Door Distilling and Yahara Bay are two that come to mind. Yahara is in Madison. Death's Door is out in Middleton. I am a graduate of the UW and I'm moving up to Minnesota after this class to get started on my own distillery, hoping to open next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rick,

      I am located in Wisconsin (Stevens Point, actually) and have been visiting a few of the local craft distillers. I've visited Great Lakes in Milwaukee, Yahara Bay and Old Sugar in Madison, and Door County Distillery (really Door Peninsula Winery). I missed the grand opening for Death's Door, but I hear they have some pretty big rigs in Middleton after contracting out for a number of years. All have very different business plans, which gives me some comfort that there is still room in the region/market.

      I get over to the Twin Cities quite often, so I'll definitely drop you a line sometime after you've got things rolling. I'm also a big art glass fan. We had the Corning Museum Hot Glass roadshow come through at UW-SP last year, which was cool.

      Brian

      Delete