Translate

Saturday, June 8, 2013

Day 6: This was my first real study day.  Last night I read the first two chapters from Fermented Beverage Production edited by Lea and Piggott.  I will admit I wish my last chemistry class wasn't over twenty years ago in high school.  I feel lucky to remember how chemical compounds equal out in the equations.  I may start reading a basic chemistry book or read some online lectures I was directed to by Ari to see if I can get up to speed a bit more.  I listened to and read Kris' first lecture which I got from him in a powerpoint.  I will ask him on Monday if they are something I can pass along or if he wants to keep them for those who will follow after me.  The lecture begins with a basic overview of the craft distilling industry in Michigan and how it is regulated by the state and TTB. The second segment covered the elements and materials of distilling beverage alcohol and finished with a scientific discussion of the seven stage process of converting starch to ethanol by enzymes and yeast .  It took me a bit of time to recognize what was going on in the equations, but after going over them a number of times I felt I could understand it.  I wouldn't want to be asked to write out the equations from memory, but I could talk about them if they were in front of me.  According to Kris each lecture has some sort of study guide at the end.  This one had about 15 questions to go over the important things Kris wanted me to get from the lecture.

I started working on simple mash bills to find their gelatinization temperatures and then to work out the temps and cooking orders required in mashes with grain combinations.

One big piece of exciting news arrived today when working bugs got their DSP so we will begin distilling within a few days if not by the end of next week.  So things which were kind of on hold waiting for this, will probably be going into high gear come monday.

This weekends whiskey of choice: The Belvenie 12 year double barreled.  Many years in an oak barrel and a few months in a sherry cask.  To Good to rate.

No comments:

Post a Comment