Translate

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Day 7:  Today felt like the real beginning of the Internship.  After spending the first week doing a bit of grunt work and helping to get everything going, I got to sit down with Kris and make a plan for what is going to happen next.  This week will still involve some set and prep work as we finish up the butanol and fusel oil distillations for Working Bugs.  Kris gave me the next three lectures, study guides, and he is sending the lab work sheets today.  I had hoped to share them with you guys, but after talking to Kris about it, he asked to keep them part of what we are doing here.  So if any of you follow me as an intern or decide to study Distillation here at MSU you can get them that way.  If you haven't already downloaded the free book listed in the introduction to this blog, the lectures follow the book pretty well just in greater detail.  It seemed only fair as his students have to pay for the materials.  We have set up a time on Monday mornings when the lectures will be in person.  The labs are going to coincide with many of the projects on the board at the distillery in the coming weeks.  The projects I get to look forward to, include distilling wine down to a neutral spirit, making Gin, Vodka, and then Whiskey as those projects are completed.  Kris is hoping the big column still will achieve installation by July 1st.   I was also charged with deciding on a spirit to make for a personal project.  Since I started into this distilling venture to make a Rye I would be proud to drink, I'm getting started on it here.  Justin Aden and I are going to discuss what mash bill to go with tomorrow, and then ordering the materials we need.  I'm excited I will soon see my project on the official schedule.  The electricians are coming in tomorrow to make some upgrades and to wire up the mash tun so it is ready to go.  I feel like things are going to start happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment